Reunion with the self

Where do we belong? In 1943, Abraham Maslow established "The hierarchy of needs". Physiological needs being the first most important to self-fulfillment needs on the top of the pyramid. Somewhere in between, there is a place for psychological needs which is all about belongingness. Almost every second-generation immigrant goes through an identity crisis. They live in two worlds but feel they don't fit in any of them. They lack a sense of belonging. I felt the same. I didn't belong anywhere. A foreigner in either worlds.

Photo: "Testament of the teacher" painting by Nicholas Roerich

I was mediocre at school. In my head, there was a porridge of three languages. At home, we would speak Punjabi and at school something totally different. In my everyday interactions, I articulated myself strenuously. What was initially my affliction transformed to being my solace. At first, I didn't understand the importance of my roots and my mother tongue. After embracing Punjabi I realized it was my gateway to rediscovering my ancestors and discovering Urdu and Farsi. The irony though is me writing this in English.

The sole purpose of Punjabi has not been just a tool to fit in an artificial world. It has given confidence to my Being. It has refined my thought process. It has awakened the inner spiritual creature. I believe we all one day have to come to terms with our roots for the sake of our existence. Among other things, our mother tongue is what gives vitality to our roots. Maybe Rumi was onto something when he wrote "Beshnō een nay". There's this couplet from his poem that hit home:
هر کسی کو دور ماند از اصل خویش 
باز جوید روزگار وصل خویش 
From their roots, whoever remains away
Seeks a reunion with the self one day

 

Let us all reunite with the self one day.

Comments

  1. ਆ ਜੋ ਗੁਰਮੁਖੀ ਕਿਸੇ ਨੇ ਜੇ ਸਿੱਖਣੀ ।
    ਪੜ੍ਹਨੀ ਅਸਾਨ ਤੇ ਸੁਖ਼ਾਲੀ ਲਿੱਖਣੀ ।
    ਅੱਖਰ ਜਿਉਂ ਫਾਗ ਜ੍ਹਿ ਜਲੇਬੀ ਪੋਲੀ ਦੇ ।
    ਮਿੱਠੇ ਬੋਲ ਬੋਲੀਦੇ, ਪੰਜਾਬੀ ਬੋਲੀ ਦੇ ।

    - ਬਾਬੂ ਰਜਬ ਅਲੀ ।

    ਬਹੁਤ ਖੂਬਸੂਰਤ ਲਿਖਿਆ , ਲਿਖਦੇ ਰਹੋ । چاپلوسی

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts